The Elements of Art

Value – black and white final

Color – one color is the focal point

Form – feels 3D

Line – man-made

Line – natural

Shape – geometric

Shape – organic

Space – not a lot of space – close up

Space – small depth of field – blurry background

Texture

Reflection Questions 

1. What strengths and weaknesses do you see in your own work?

My strengths are that I am steady while taking pictures and I am not shaking. My weaknesses are that sometimes I rush and get impatient while taking a picture. I have to wait for the perfect opportunity next time while taking my pictures.
2. How might you improve or refine your approach in future photography projects?

Next time I need to be more patient. I need to wait for the natural light and specific things in nature like the wind to positively affect my pictures. Doing this will only make the pictures better, more high quality, and more creative.
3. Pick one of your photos, what emotions or messages did you intend to convey through this photograph?

My photo for color shows tons of emotion. It shows loneliness and difference among other things. It stands out just like how some people stand out in society.
4. Are there specific elements of art you would like to explore further in your photography?

One specific element I want to explore more is form. I felt like that was my weakest picture. Next time I want to get that one better and try photographing something else for it next time.
5. What concepts or techniques do you want to experiment with in your next project?

I want to use more angles next project. If I get better angles, I might be able to improve the image and its quality. I am also going to try more photoshopping techniques and features next project.

4 comments

1. samgoo26 · October 4, 2023 at 1:02 pm ·

I like most of them, but for the man-made line I would edit it to have more color because it is a bit bland. For both the close-up and the small depth of field shots I would take the shot from a lower point to get a more interesting background. For form, I would get closer to the leaves to make it feel even more 3D.

2. nolangab26 · October 5, 2023 at 8:46 pm ·

FINAL FULL REPLY:

Critique: For Color, the focal point would be something that is all over the screen, such as multiple trees (green) or a red gown in an all-black gown party (red). Blue is recognized in the photo, but my attention diverted to the flowers and trees. If the trash can was in the middle or the image was cropped, I would agree that it is the focal point, but there is so much in the background that it distracts from the recycling bin. For form, It would be preferred if the picture was closer to the flower so that you can see the detail and actually feel like you could walk in it.. Otherwise, Luke did a great job capturing the elements.The two photos that Luke took that were my favorite were the Texture photo because of how perfect the capture was with the texture element and man-made line photo, something about the photo is very captivating and more interesting than the other pictures. The organic shape could’ve been better since a close-up of a flower would’ve been more interesting or a bush with more detail than a rock. The texture element truly captivates the idea of SYMETRY since the image is incredibly detailed and interesting to look at.

3. Anthony Parent · October 6, 2023 at 3:06 pm ·

I like the photos texture and line. The line is good because the photo uses a pattern to draw in the eye. The photo texture is very unique because then raindrops on the railing add a fill the frame feeling to the photo because the raindrops seem to be the focal point that the photographer wants us to focus on. The photo’s small depth of field uses a water bottle which to me seems like a waste of an element. The photo could’ve used more nature or a better background to help enhance the look of the photo. I would try to find a more natural focal point to make your photo about.

4. mileswil26 · October 6, 2023 at 3:08 pm ·

The two pictures I like from Luke’s selection are his texture picture and his value picture. His texture picture has many little details and designs which makes this picture interesting to me. His value picture of the bushes are very well edited and I like that he incorporated different types of bushes which added depth. I think the geometric shape could use some work because the angle he took the picture at was very boring and didn’t show much of the object. He took the picture right above the object which showed little detail of the main piece. In his small depth of field picture, he used the FILL THE FRAME composition technique. The picture was a closeup of a water bottle which filled up most of the picture.